Sausage Gravy Breakfast Casserole (vegetarian).
You can cook Sausage Gravy Breakfast Casserole (vegetarian) using 9 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Sausage Gravy Breakfast Casserole (vegetarian)
- You need 3 cans of sliced potatoes.
- You need 2 TBS of butter.
- Prepare 1/4 C of flour.
- You need 4 C of milk.
- You need 10 of veggie sausage patties.
- It’s 1 can of (of 8) biscuits.
- It’s 8 of eggs.
- You need 1/8 C of milk.
- It’s 2 of +C shredded cheese.
Sausage Gravy Breakfast Casserole (vegetarian) step by step
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Fry potatoes with a little oil on med heat until outsides are brown (usually 10-15 min) ** to avoid mushy potatoes, DRY them first! With paper towels, or bake in the oven for 5-10 minutes (or both!).
- Whisk eggs and 1/8C milk in a bowl. (You can use up to 12 eggs if your dish is big enough).
- Over low heat, melt 2 TBS butter in med saucepan, when melted, whisk with flour until little dough-balls form. Add about 4C milk and increase to high heat. Stir frequently, and AS SOON as it boils, drop heat back down to low..
- Meanwhile, microwave veggie sausage patties, just enough to be thawed (If you're using meat sausage – you need to actually cook it first) (or just try the veggie ones. I use morningstar farms for this – no one knows the difference).
- Chop up (or pulse in blender) sausage and add to gravy. Let cook until gravy starts to thicken. Usually 8-10 minutes. Stir often! It will burn on the bottom! I add a good bit of salt and pepper too..
- Grease casserole dish. Put potatoes on the bottom. Layer biscuits on top of potatoes..
- Pour eggs (and make sure they thoroughly soak through to the bottom of the pan) Run a spatula around the edges to make sure eggs even out. Layer with cheese.
- Lastly, pour on sausage gravy!.
- I cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes on, 20 minutes off. (It can take less or longer depending on your pan. I use a deep casserole, glass, 9×13.) Just check the middle to make sure eggs aren't runny..
- Cut into 8 servings-12 servings. Let it cool – the middle will be -ruin your tongue – hot!.
- Note about exploding Pirex! There was a wave of more cheaply made Pirex (or the like) – usually with thinner handles or lighter feel – that is notorious for exploding in your oven. (Google exploding Pirex) Varied ingredient temperatures in layers is definitely a trigger for this! Because this has some pre-cooked/hot layers, I stick my well greased dish in the oven while pre-heating to warm it up first. & I let my potatoes & gravy sit for a minute – stirring to release steam-before adding!.