SPLIT PEA SOUP, VEGETARIAN OR VEGAN. I love making vegan split pea soup. This is a quick frugal meal. A great cold day hearty meal.
To make it thinner, reduce the amount of split peas or add more water. Obviously there's no ham in here. Instead I seasoned it with a touch of liquid smoke, which is pretty much magic in a Instant Pot Split Pea Soup. You can cook SPLIT PEA SOUP, VEGETARIAN OR VEGAN using 8 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of SPLIT PEA SOUP, VEGETARIAN OR VEGAN
- Prepare 1 lb of split peas.
- You need 6 of large carrots.
- You need 5 stalks of celery.
- Prepare 1 of medium-large leek with dark green top removed and discarded.
- It’s 1 of large (not gigantic) onion.
- Prepare 4 tablespoons of olive oil Or unsalted butter.
- Prepare 2 teaspoons of salt.
- It’s 9-10 cups of water.
Don't have time to let your soup simmer for an hour or more? Make it in the Instant Pot! Vegan Split Pea Soup is a hearty mix of green split peas, carrots, celery, onion and green cabbage simmered with flavorful herbs – it's my all-time favorite split pea soup recipe! Includes slow cooker, Instant Pot + stovetop methods.
SPLIT PEA SOUP, VEGETARIAN OR VEGAN instructions
- Small chop or large dice all vegetables..
- In Dutch oven (large pot) heat olive oil or unsalted butter to medium-low.
- Sautee veggies slowly about 12 minutes until cooked down slightly, stirring occasionally..
- Add split peas, water and salt. Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer, cook 75 minutes. Taste and add more salt if needed..
Let's start the new year with a big bowl of warm and comforting. Many of you were enthusiastic about the lentil soup recipe I posted a few weeks back. I like to finish each bowl with a generous drizzle of golden olive oil, a few flecks of lemon zest, and a dusting of smoked paprika to give the soup some. This vegetarian split pea soup is made with a touch of liquid smoke in place of the traditional ham. It's a filling, easy plant based meal!